Ask a tradesman

Carpentry & Joinery

Need to replace staircase

Hope someone can guide me.
when i moved in to my house there was what I describe as an open stair case.
the horizontal parts of the steps were there in hardwood, but the virtical parts were two rods/ poles out of metal.
These all are fixed to what looks like two wooden tracks that run the length of the stairs.
So when you look at the stairs you can see right through them.
It may have been cool in the 70's but i wanted carpet on them, so I had someone put in the vertical parts and edge boards left and right.

Now my better half wants carpet runners that will show the wood under the carpet on the edges and as its a cocktail of wood and screws, its not going to work.

So I think I need a new stair case.
I have seen companies that can do this, but they tend to do very special high end stair cases and not what I want which is a standard one in a terrace house, where the wood is clean and simple.

I have seen companies where you send them your measurments and then make them to order, which looked good, I will then get one of you to fit it, but I am the last person to know what to order.

Have I made this too complicated and how should I appraoch this so that someone here can come and install and my other half wont scream at me for visible soft and hardood or stairs that dont quite reach the upper floor.


7 Answers from MyBuilder Carpenters & Joiners

Best Answer

Hi taj
I would advise you to post a job on this site and get a reputable tradesman round to give you advise and a quote.
Kind regards
Paul Sharpington


Answered 23rd May 2011

you need to mesure the total width of the stair and count how many treads are on your stair and take that in to magnet trade and they will work out a price for you


Answered 23rd May 2011

places like magnet, arnold laver and jewson all do non expensive staircases at least one of them should measure it for you. If you get the measurement wrong, even by a few inches , it can throw the staircase out by a long way ie the treads will not be level. If measuring it yourself you will need the rise (height from floor to landing height) and the going ( the length of the staircase) and the width of the opening ( make sure you allow 20mm for ease of fitting) from this a staircase manufacturer will be able to give you a quote. If it is a straight flight it should take no more than 2 days from start to finish for 2 men, including removing the old staircase, fitting the new one and any minor making good.


Answered 15th Jun 2011

hi there where abouts are you in the U.K


Answered 23rd May 2011

I would recomend getting someone in to do this, then yo know its safe. post the job on the site to see what it would cost.
Regards Roger


Answered 23rd May 2011

You may be able to get an of the shelf stair case to fit from most good builders merchants, or places like Howdens Magnets etc.
If you post your job in the Job section, get a good carpenter out who will do all the measurements for you and fit it.


Answered 23rd May 2011

need sizes for costing fitting will take a day plus any making good so around 2 days a good quality joinery will sort out all your sizes post the job


Answered 25th May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories