Windows Question

Double glazed windows: air leaking through between window and frame - where the window opens - not between frame & brick

the black plastic ( is it called beading) which is meant to keep the draught out doesnt do so any longer. It's mainly on the windows that open. Any advice please? These are double glazed units.

8 Answers

Best Answer

I think it needs new gasket!!

Answered 26th Jul 2013

Supreme Glazing

Member since 25 Jun 2013

New gasket required.
Easily rectified... Just cut a bit of the existing gasket and take to a supplier or go to ebay and order a length for your windows.
It's just a matter of clearing out the old gasket and replacing with the new.
Not difficult to replace although sometimes you need to squirt a bit of window cleaner to help squeeze the gasket into the groove.

Answered 7th Oct 2013

All Seasons Group Ltd

Member since 4 Oct 2013

Depending on the style and age of the window there may be ofset rollers on the mechanism. You can adjust the compression ont the gasket by moving the rollers in or out. Generally it takes a 4mm allen-key. It would definitely be worth replacing the gasket also if they are quite old.
Hope this helps.

Answered 21st Nov 2016


Member since 21 Nov 2016

I would say that if there is a gap between the window opener and frame gasket that this is most likely down to the window hinges (friction stays).

Once replaced with new ones the window will close tight against the gasket again.

Answered 26th Jan 2017

Glass Master UK

Member since 31 May 2016

It maybe that the hinges have worn or moved out of alignment, the rubber sill (black plastic) can perish over time, maybe you should consider putting this out on my builder under handyman and get some advise and quotes to repair, this shouldn't mean you need a new window! i hope this has helped Ian

Answered 4th Apr 2013

ipc construction

Member since 28 Mar 2013

Hi .
The first thing you could try is to clean the friction stays, hinges and then spray any like WD 40 or furniture spray polish then slowly open and close the window , this will make the hinge slide easier and lock tighter into place . If this does not work it probably means a new hinge , it's always best to change both hinges . The other reason could be rubber seals , these rubbers are located around openings sashes and inside the sash where frame closes . I hope this is helpful and works for you .
Many thanks
K L Window doctor

Answered 1st Feb 2015

K L Window Doctor and Building Repairs

Member since 7 Mar 2014

It sounds like the opener has 'dropped' either because your hinges need replacing or refitting. Most of the time, the hinges will break or bend and need replacing. It is a fairly simple and affordable job to change the hinges and part of the service I offer at Framefix. It may be that the gasket has perished but more commonly it is the hinges that need replacing.

Answered 17th Oct 2016

Framefix Door & Window Repair

Member since 11 Oct 2016

three possible reasons: 1, the window needs new gasket. 2, new beading is required. Or 3, the opening sash has warped and requires re-adjustment. If none of these work, then the solution would be to teplace the window.

Answered 26th Jan 2017

Ada Windows Ltd

Member since 22 Dec 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions