Ask a tradesman


I am renting my flat out for the first time and have just had an domestic electrical installation periodic inspection report. i was quite shocked at the outcome.......continue

because it was marked as unsatisfactory but I was also quoted just under £500 including VAT to get the work corrected. The flat was built in 1989 and the only thing that I have altered is the bathroom. My neighbour who had the same inspection last year past. The flats are exactly the same. Things listed as issues are: No supplementary R.C.D protection for sockets & power circuits, 2, bathroom light fitting is incorrect for it's environment - requires adequate light fitting with the ingress protection rating 3, lighting conductors require indentification 4, no earthing conductor within the cooker point in kitchen, 5, no earthing conductor within the sockets outlets adjacent to TV and sofa within the living room,6 bathroom towel radiator is fed off ring main circuit. Incorrect overload device for circuit 7, incorrect polarity on shower circuit and 8 no continuity on kitchen ring main circut conductors (phase).

I have also been advised the next inspection is due in one year.

Questions - does everything that is mentioned above require changing? Why if my flat is exactly the same as my neighbours (apart from the bathroom), have i failed on so many points? I have not been provided with a breakdown for the quote, should i ask for one? Does the quote sound reasonable? Should I pay for second opinion? I have been advised that an inspection does not need to take please yearly, is this correct?

Any feedback would be most helpful, because I have to move fast on this.

Many thanks.

9 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

if your not happy with the assessment of your electrical system then seek another , from another electrician ( but expect to pay £200 ish for an inspection )..........some electricians do it exactly by the book , looks like thats what yours has done and " thats as it should be !! "

you as the client get us as the experts to examine your property to bring it up to current standards and a safe condition trust us as the experts not only do we have your intrests at heart....... but we have 389 page 17th edition code of practise and regulations to comply with

New 17th Edition regulations came in 2008 and now requirements for RCD protection ie automatic disconnection of supply as opposed to EEBADDS

sounds like £500 a reasonable quote




Answered 23rd May 2011


Im afraid what is listed is fair. Everything listed another than the identification of conductors should be rectified.

The electrician may have issued you a one year certificate if the test results were particularly low. You would issue a one year certificate here to cover yourself because the results could deteriote and become unsafe.

To rectify what has been listed for £500 is quite cheap really.

However without actually seeing the report I would struggle to give any real advice.

What you have got to ask yourself is can you trust your contractor? If yes then getting a second opinion would just be a waste of money.



Answered 23rd May 2011

Hi, £500 is in fact quite a good price
All the above points do need addressing in order to be of a satisfactory condition. there are no 2 installations that are exactly the same, they all have there own characteristics and supplies.
The RCD is in fact a regulation and must be installed You ideally should have an RCD Protecting all circuits and an RCD to protect Cables concealed within walls of 50mm or less depth!
The Bathroom Light has to IP44 rated which would make it splash proof and being in a bathroom there is a hgh risk/chance of the fitting becomming splashed/wet at some point! The lighting conductors require identification in order for it to be identified as being the correct live/earth/neutral and to prevent potential faults due to lack of identification!
The cooker point in the kitchen requires earthing in order to prevent potential faults from metallic parts on cooker and such items and preventative methods against electric shock!
Once again earthing in sockets is required to prevent electric shock!
the towel rail should in fact be fed via a Fused Spur which should have the correct fuse placed.
Circuit 7 would need the correct overload device as to what the circuit is containing.
Incorrect polarity is a fairly simple fix it simply means that the live and neutral are the wrong way round!
No Continuity on the kitchen ring main could be something as simple as a loose terminal but without personal investigation i am simply advising a possibility, but needs rectifying as no continuity could potentially lead to overheat on the cable causing futher problems!
As to the inspections, this should ideally be carried out every 10 years or upon change of tenancy/occupancy.

Hope this helps


Answered 23rd May 2011

The report's showing quite a few issues. That many issues for £500 including VAT is about right to correct.
Don't kill the messenger, it's not his fault that the flat didn't pass.


Answered 23rd May 2011

1 You do not need extra RCD protection if you are not having new circuits installed. However, I would advise that if you have an electric shower you have an RCD fitted, either in the consumer unit or as a standalone item.
2. If the light fitting is inside a shower or less than 2.25m above a bath it will need to be waterproof.
3. Some of your lighting conductors need brown or red sleeving added to show that they are switched live. A relatively simple job.
4. I can't comment on this because there should be an earth connection arriving in the cooker point from the isolation switch (vital).
5. As with 4, there should be earth wires in the cables feeding the sockets, needs further investigation (vital).
6. The bathroom towel radiator needs to be fed from a switched fused spur outlet.
7. You do not say what circuit 7 is but I guess that it needs a different rating MCB.
8. No continuity on kitchen ring is potentially serious but is usually caused by a broken conductor behind one of the sockets.

These are all valid points. The fact that other flat is the same age is not relevant. They may not have these faults. Some observations are in the light of new regulations. Their inspection may not have been so thorough. I think you have had a very thorough inspection and all points need to be addressed.

You should certainly ask for a cost breakdown on the quote.

£500 pounds may be reasonable dependant on the level of replacement that is being proposed. The quote looks like 1-2 days work with parts.

The cost of a second opinion will wipe out the saving you are looking for, as I said the observations look valid. It looks like you have employed a professional electrician for the inspection.

You do not need to have an inspection yearly, although I would advise an inspection on change of tenants (depending on the previous tenant!)


Answered 23rd May 2011

Some of it does need attention others are questionable. The best advice I can give you is to call another electrician to get a quote on how much it would cost to fix the faults. That way you
won't spend any more money on PIRs.
Get the name of the neighbours electrician!
All the best Rob


Answered 23rd May 2011

Well first off you could send 3 electricians into a property to carry ou a periodic inspection then look at the paperwork after and the codes and points raised would vary somewhat,its all down to interpretation.

Cant slag the guy as i dont know him and he has seen the property i have not.

The property may have been built in the 80"s but the regs are not retrospective and the property must be assessed against the current criteria,it sounds like he is quoting for a new consumer unit in the price,is your old one damaged or defective in any way?just because there isnt rcd protectin does not make it unsafe.

I would be interested to see how he has coded each item.



Answered 23rd May 2011

Electrical installations are seldom serviced / maintained by consumers as they are more often than not hidden / not visible - a PIR highlights potential and present dangers within the installation. if you have a dripping tap you would mend it, if you had a bad wiring connection you most probably would never know until its too late. This is the real need for regular inspection and testing to be carried out.


Answered 20th Jul 2011

In my opinion, a handy man or DIY guy or tenant has been doing some work.
The electrician has spotted the usual items for a flat of this age.
Sounds like a fair inspection and a reasonable price.
If he gave you a pass and someone later got a shock, he would be in BIG trouble. Good luck.


Answered 25th May 2014

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories