Electrical Question

Garden downlighters


I have 5 downlighters on an external building in the garden. They are switched on from inside this building.

Is there any way I can convert these downlighters to motion sensor downlighters? Is this something that I can do myself or will I need to employ an electrician?

Many thanks

5 Answers

Best Answer

It is possible to do it yourself, but you must register your intent to carry out DIY electrical work with your local authority, as both DIY and electrcal works outside in the garden come under part P of the building regulations.

Once you have paid the appropriate fee (normally around £200 - £300) and have been given the consent to proceed, you can alter the circuit and run an XLPE SWA cable to a PIR sensor to control the lights. All the SWA cable glands must be outdoor rated.

Once you have completed the work, you will need to contact your local authority again and get their inspector to come and inspect and test your work. If its all compliant with BS7671:2008 standards and tests out OK, you will be issued with an electrical and part P compliance certificate.

See the links below for more information on part P of the building regulations.



Answered 30th Mar 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

These can be set up to switch with motion sensor by installing 1 in the feed cable from the switch to the downlighters
This work needs to be carried out by qualified electrician as work carried out in gardens is notifiable under Part P to your local authority building control

Answered 30th Mar 2013

WG electrical

Member since 27 Mar 2013

Yes this can be done all you need to do is place a pir motion director Inbetween the existing down lights and power feed. This is something that can be done by somone who is experienced in electrical DIY however with electricial work being potentily daingerous we always advised that you employ a fully qualified electrician like myself. Should you require any further information please don't hesitate to ask Darren

Answered 30th Mar 2013

Delectrician & Property Maintenance

Member since 25 Mar 2013

Yes you can connect a pir sensor to activate the lights. If the work is outside it is notifable so either employ a part p registered electrician or notify your local building control before you begin any work.

Answered 30th Mar 2013

WhitCo Electrical

Member since 10 Nov 2008

You could install a pir to the circuit which would do it. Youd be best off getting a qualified electrician to do it for you as the circuit would need to be checked and wired correctly to work with the pir and as its outdoors, you'd need ensure it all remains totally watertight to ensure safety.

Answered 30th Mar 2013

Sherriff Electrical Services

Member since 25 Mar 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions