Ask a tradesman


I'd like a small extension - where do i start?

House built 1988 standard through lounge/diner and then small kitchen. Have put dividing wall up between lounge/diner and in the process of getting quotes for knocking down partition wall between kitchen and dining area.

I'd like to extend out either from the patio doors but ideally right across back of property. Kitchen/diner is 17' approx wide - would like to extend out by 6' approx. Ideally want bi/tri-fold doors and say 3 velux windows.

No idea of cost/approach etc. Who do I start with - architect?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

Best Answer

first port of call is an architect to design your extension.
you will probably not require planning for such a small extension but your architect will be able to advise you on this.
once you have the plans drawn up get a few builders in to quote on the project pick one job done

allow about 4 -6 mths from start to finnish £10-15k


Answered 21st May 2011

hi you can do your build on a building notice, detatched 4mtr out x width,, semi 3mtr out x width both are classed as permitted development , a good builder can draw you a simple plan and help with build notice,, make sure both you and your builder meet local building officer for all visits,so as to be able to gain compleation certificate, price around £1k per sq mtr.bob


Answered 21st May 2011

hi you need to speak with your local council to see if you require full planning concent or just building control they will advice you ,if you need planning you will have to contact an arcitect to draw up plans then submit thes to the coulcil ,you will have to pay a fee for both of these then pick a suitable builder on here close to where you live and get 3 builders out for a free estimate and then choose the favourate building control will make regular visits on site then at the end sign off all the work happy days


Answered 21st May 2011

Hi,if the extension is small you may not need planning permission(A building notice will do the job).There may be certain restrictions inforced by your planning dept which can be sorted by a site visit from the relevant bodies.Ring them first and ask for a visit,then you will have the foundations as to the way foward.Regards Shaine.


Answered 23rd May 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories