Garages & Sheds Question

Replace old wooden garage with brick one keep concrete base.what kind of price should i expect to pay

i wish to replace my old wooden garage which has a corrugated roof, with a new brick one. would i need planning permission

6 Answers

Best Answer

Hi. I think you will be best off calling your local planning department and discussing it with them. Garages can be easy under permitted development rights but its dependant on many factors such as finished roof height, proximity to the house and boundaries and its overall footprint. Alternatively check their website as they should give you advice on such issues and allowances.

With regards to a price, its difficult to give a rule of thumb price as every job is different, obtain at least three written quotations from reputable builders with references and choose from those. I dont expect that the existing base will be substantial enough for the new garage, its likely it will need ripping up and disposing of!!


Answered 19th Feb 2011

R.Hughes Building and Conservation Ltd

Member since 25 Feb 2009

hi,are you going to brick only has you can put blockwork inside as well.always get someone to view reguarding price because they need to know what openings you are going to have and the brick you want to use ,because all bricks are different prices.dont accept prices on the net.make sure you get a wriitten quote.many thanks nick

Answered 19th Feb 2011

kentish builder

Member since 14 Jul 2009

block is cheaper if you put dimensions you could get a rough estimate

Answered 19th Feb 2011

gj builder

Member since 10 Mar 2009

No feedback

hi the best things on that job is to let some builders too comme too your house and give a diferent quote and opinion`s and after you can hire the best one price and quality workan`s
thank you , have a nice day

Answered 19th Feb 2011

tnt building contracrs

Member since 16 Mar 2010

will the concrete base support the weight of block garrage due to only had a wooden garage previously maybe a low wall and timber top would be better and quite a nice feature too

Answered 1st Apr 2011


Member since 31 Oct 2008

you would be looking at £ 3800 total if any one tells you more then some ones makeing and aot of money some where

Answered 3rd Mar 2011


Member since 7 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local tradesmen who can help you with your project.

Search all questions