Plastering Question

Blown skim plaster

I have stripped back the wallpaper in the main bedroom of my 1930s semi in South London and have found a grey skim coat on top of what I assume is original lime plaster.

The initial issue was the removing the skirting board pulled some of the original plaster off (thanks to two inch floor board nails being used to hold it on) and some of the plaster came off where there is wood in the bay wall below the window. I had planned to fix this using one coat plaster as the plan is to line the walls anyway before painting. Also there are various holes from a builtin wardrobe I have removed - I planned to use filler on these.

Now I have found in some areas the skim has blown and come off in chunks. Certainly not all of it but still a good amount on one wall and a little on another. I could fill these patches myself but I wonder if I am just going to end up with a mess of a wall.

What are my options here for filling these? Or am I better to get someone in to do this and what should they be doing (i.e. so I know they are going to at least attempt a good job)?

1 Answer

Best Answer

i personally feel your better of getting a plasterer inn to skim all the the time you fill in all the holes and line the walls ..the finish will never be that great ...if you use a good plasterer { check feedback } then all you need to do is paint...for that bit of extra expense will have a great room...

Answered 21st Mar 2013


Member since 30 Sep 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions