Windows Question

Resizing a window

When I moved in to my current property the previous owner had their back door changed for a same sized window (860mm x 2100mm). I now want this bricked up half way and extended to be a normal sized window about 1500mm x 1000mm. Would this be possible and if so would the people I choose the window from arrange any building work for me and include it in the price? If anybody knows the answer to this if you could provide a rough price that would be fantastic too. I am a little stuck as I'm new to all this.

1 Answer

Best Answer

Hello beanegg, Yes it is possible to enlarge the opening but it would require a new lintle to support the masonry above as you are widening the opening. A good window company that is FENSA registered would probably have contacts with good builders in the area and they could provide this service for a fee. Alternatively post this job on My Builder page and then you can get some local builders or bricklayers to quote for the structural work separately from the chosen window company. You will, however, need to co-ordinate the two yourself. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Graham Poynter

Answered 18th Mar 2013

Graham Poynter Carpentry/Building & Joinery

Member since 4 Mar 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions