Electrical Question

More switches

Hi all just moved into a new house and its seriously lacking sockets.. I'm competent at electrical work and want to know if I'm allowed to carry out the work myself and will it need to be signed off by building control? All the new sockets will be in bedrooms, lounge and hallway only.

3 Answers

Best Answer

In a word no. You will need a qualified, registered electrician to carry out the work and he/she will isue you a certificate afterwards

Answered 15th Mar 2013

Park Plumbing & Tiling

Member since 16 Nov 2010

Providing you notify building control first and pay their fee (normally around £300) you will then be given consent to carry out your own DIY electrical work.

You must install the additional sockets to BS7671:2008 regulations and all cables less than 50mm deep within the property must be RCD protected.

Once you have completed your work you can arrange for the LABC inspector to come round and test your work and if it passes, you will then be issued with a Building Regulation certificate for the work.

If you do the work first or don't register your intent and get caught, then its a £5000 fine.

Depending hon how many sockets your looking at adding/changing it may actually be cheaper and easier just to hire a Part P registered electrician. Some may even allow you to do all the chasing and labouring work?

Answered 16th Mar 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi copy and paste this http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/electrical_safety.pdf
paragraph A tells you what you can do without informing building control

Answered 16th Mar 2013

total residential property services

Member since 17 Dec 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions