Loft Conversions Question

What do i have to do to get retrospective permission

My home was a three bedroom house/ two bedorooms and a 'box' room. In 1981 I had plans drawn up and converted my 17'6'' x 12' x 7'6'' high loft, into a bedroom, using the box room as a staircase utilising the same door and window. Both my children have used this a sa bedroom for over 30 years, and now my Grandchildren when they come to stay.
I was told by the architect that I did not need planning permission, Nothing was ever said about building regulations.....
I had a valuation last year, and was told that the house could only be advertised as a two bed property with a loft conversion?
I have recently been on a forum where they say that I need to Planning Permission and make sure it meets Building Regulations. One person says that I will probably have to strip all out that I have done and re do it???
When we bought this property the floor was already boarded in the loft and was being used as a play/store space with a ladder.
When the Loft was converted, we had a staircase fitted using most of the box room, because it had to have a couple of steps up to a platform then a return staircase to get the head room up the stairs which is over 6'3'' (my Son's height) There is a rotating velux window with a energy saving blind. The roof and sides of the room were lined with solid insulation, and then a loose insulation, on top of this is plaster board. It was completely rewired, and a radiator installed.
I am really concerned now because I am preparing it at the moment to sell and down size to a bungalow, because I am disabled and my children have flown.
I hope you will be able to understand my concerns, and give me some advice.

1 Answer

Best Answer

The forum you read is incorrect as loft conversions alone never need planning permission unless it is a listed building. However, if you had to raise the ridge of the roof or install a dormer window, this may have needed planning permission. You should have applied for building regulations but all is not lost. You need to apply for what is called a regularisation certificate to your local authority. This will cost money but it will get you the document you need to prove all work is safe and done to standard. The building inspector will make an initial inspection where they will be able to advise you (you may not need to rip everything out and do it again) and they may ask if you still have an electrical certificate for that part of the job. Be prepared though as they may ask you to uncover some of the plasterwork and flooring so that they can inspect plumbing, electrics, insulation etc and this will have to be repaired/put right at your own cost.
An alternative that is sometimes used is called indemnity insurance which you will need to speak to your solicitor about as it can have repercussions from the new buyers so it may not be suitable for your situation.
UK Property Services

Answered 14th Mar 2013

UK Property Services

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Loft Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions