Loft Conversions Question

Insulation problems with loft.

Hi All,

1st post here so please be gentle! I am converting my loft into a usable space, I am not going through building regs as its not being used as a bedroom.
I live in a 1898 Victorian Terrace house with 3x2 roofing rafters. I would like to insulate in-between rafters but according to my re-search I need to leave a 50mm air gap due to having old style felt. That leaves me with using just 25mm of insulation, which isnt going to do much. Can anybody advise a product that can be used in its place? bear in mind I do not want to lower rafters overly to much.


4 Answers

Best Answer

Hi there

I worked for a big insulation company a few years ago and they were testing a new form of insulation it is a silica based product and 25 mm of this insulation has the equivalent retaings of 270 mm of loft insulation, which is in line with building regs. The only downside is it was very expensive.

Other wise you just batten a 50 mm timber and go for 100mm Celetex

Hope the helps
Solid building services

Answered 7th Mar 2013

Solid building services

Member since 22 Jan 2013

Hi you should find some good info through this link , hope it helps

Answered 6th Mar 2013

Greenhalgh Builders Limited

Member since 25 Feb 2013

Hi super 10 insulation is what you need you can role it over rafters staple it on then board straight over the top
Regards john

Answered 7th Mar 2013

total residential property services

Member since 17 Dec 2008

You could fix tri iso foil to back of rafters then over board, this is only 10mm thick and gives equivalent of at least 50mm so you still need 50mm between rafters.

Answered 15th Mar 2013

PJ Developments

Member since 13 Mar 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Loft Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions