Garages & Sheds Question

Attach a shed to the side of my house

Hi. I have a detached house, down one side there is some garden (grassed) that is fenced off from a road providing access to other properties in the close. The garden is 10' (between the house and my fence). I am thinking on putting in a shed/workshop to fill this space, so circa 10' x 16-20'. I would potentially take the fence down, so that the side of the shed reaches the edge of my boundary and adjoins/faces the road. The shed would have doors at either end (one to the front of my property, and one to the rear garden).
As the bottom half of the house is rendered/painted, it will need to be maintained, so I am thinking the shed could join the house (like a lean-to), so that the outside wall of the house forms one side of the shed. I was told that a stand-alone (detached) shed would not require planning permission, but if it was adjoined to the house, then planning would be required (or subject to building regulations?). Is this the case ? Reading some of the other similar q&a's on this site, maybe not.

1 Answer

Best Answer

As you would be building right up to the boundary there is a chance that you would need to apply for planning permission, but sheds rarely need to be controlled by building regulations as it all depends on area and what you are using the shed/outbuilding for. It doesn't matter whether outbuildings are standalone or attached to the property for planning. The key things to look at are distance from the boundary, height to eaves, height to ridge, distance from property etc. If you go on the government's planning portal website, you can find all the criteria on there. If you find that you cannot comply to all the points then you will need to apply for permission.

UK Property Services

Answered 28th Feb 2013

UK Property Services

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local tradesmen who can help you with your project.

Search all questions