Ask a tradesman

Bathroom Fitting

What is the best type of tradesman for fitting an electric shower?

Since it involves both electricity and plumbing I'm not sure what type of tradesman I should be looking for to get my new power shower fitted.

13 Answers from MyBuilder Bathroom Fitters

Best Answer

A plumber who is Part P certified (defined scope) is all you need. Do you mean a power shower (£150) which is simply a pump and mixer valve on the wall using both hot and cold water feeds. I am an electrician and I sub-contracted exactly this to a plumber just last week as it needed a new feed off both the cold tank and hot cylinder then I did electrics as he wasn't certified for this. An electric shower (£300) heats the water and only uses a cold feed. This needs a chunky cable fed directly off the consumer unit. Both types must be fed via an RCD as per wiring regulations.


Answered 17th Apr 2011

Someone qualified in both plumbing and electrical. The reason why your last shower failled can often be attributed to the plumbing and a lack of an inline scale inhibitor. Not all showers are the same power rating and when replacing one I'd advise you have an electrician check the suitability and safety of your shower circuit.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

You should employ a company that has the resources to send out both a plumber and electrician as many new showers now have to be in 10mm cable to support the rate of high powered showers. This can save you the hassel of finding two reliable tradesmen and getting there availability to coincide.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

A qualified plumber with Part P defined scope is definately the way forward for most straight swaps, however if the cable needs to be upgraded then you need a firm with access to electrician who are NICEIC registered as anything done to your consumer unit is notifiable under the Electrical regs. I would also look at any firms Guarantee and public liability cover, as you need to make sure that if anything went wrong you can get it sorted quickly and easily.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Bathroom fitter as this could mean altering some tilework and waterproofing with silicone. An electrician may not repair the tile or carry silicone, a plumber may repair the tiles but may not touch the electrics. Regards Mark


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Hi There,

While I agree with most of the answers it may be wise to look for the following

1)Electrics -if domestic then Part P is a MUST
2)Plumbing- make sure they hold at least a C & G in plumbing and ideally registered witha trade body
3)Look for the company that can make good while there-Several have multi-skilled individuals at slightly higher rates who can do the tiling/patchwork pastering as well
4)Keeping it all under one roof would be beneficial as then when things go wrong then there is no pointing fingers as to who did what ....etc etc..

It would be advisable to be specific about the project and then look for a company(multi skilled team directly employed) who you can get on with- note this may not be your most cost effecient option however I am of the opinon that in these matters that comeback would far out weigh cost when things go wrong & is more important.

Hope that this helps- Good luck in your project.
PS:-Make sure that you get them to confirm that they are going to register the job with building control & not just give you the certificate.


Answered 16th Apr 2011



Answered 17th Feb 2011

NICEIC are just one competant body operating the Part P electrical Scheme. You can choose from Napit, Elecsa and others. A central register of all Part P registered companies is located at I am lucky in that I regularly wear both hats, I am full scope Part P, so I can add electrical circuits and I am plumber. If you have an electric shower fitted, the whole bathroom has to be compliant with 17th Edition, this can somethings mean a lot of other work besides the shower and bathroom. The plumbing part is often very straight forward.


Answered 19th Feb 2011

The best option is to use a bathroom specialist as they will have the task force which covers all relevant trades.

It would be financially viable as there may be tiling and grouting possibly making good in addition to the electrical and plumbing works.

Electrical showers may have to be rewired back to te consumer unit dependent on the KW for example we recently where instructed to fit a 9.5 KW shower for a client upon investigation we realised that the current wiring wasn't sufficient

To fit the shower we had 2 options to run a new cable all the way back the the mains consumer unit { which would have been very time consuming and costly }

Option 2 was to change the shower to the a lower KW which would have operated on the current services available, thus saving the client a small fortune and not affecting the quality of the flow and and pressure of the shower a great deal.

If you decide to use a general plumber they will need to be Part P registered under the NIC EIC scheme { Governing body for safe electrical contractors} to be legally able to disconnect, isolate, commission, decommission and test.

The bathroom is classed as a high risk zone in properties so its always best to think of safety first .


Answered 20th Feb 2011

The options are, Separate contractors for any jobs needed to fit the shower, i.e an electrician, a plumber & possible a tiler. Or as suggested above, a bathroom specialist who will organise the other contractors as needed. A bathroom specialist should have better all round knowledge of the pros and cons of any possible options. The electrics MUST be carried out by a qaulified electrician by law. If a plumber says he will fit it, throw him out!


Answered 22nd Feb 2011

Ideally a bathroom installation specialist or specialist firm as they are used to dealing with both the electric and plumbing aspects of bathroom showers, but still make sure they are part p qualfied or their electrician is qualified.


Answered 29th Mar 2011

A Plumber with a Part P defined scope qualification should be able to sort the job.


Answered 17th Feb 2011

really should be a qualified sparky and plumber, but if you got someone with knowledge. i.e know that the cable should be at last 6mm ect shouldnt be a problem, roy


Answered 17th Feb 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories