Ask a Tradesman

Conversions - General Questions

Our expert builders have kindly agreed to share their wisdom on such topics as planning permission, working with architects, removing and adding walls, loft conversions, structural advice, certifications, garage conversions, materials, velux’s and much more.

Answered your question? You can find a reliable and local Conversion Specialist in your area today!

462 Conversions - General questions

Do you need building permission to remove an internal supporting wall?

how can we build a false ceiling over an existing concrete one an install downlighters?

Our builder says the only was is to suspend a metal grid and install ceiling tiles, but this would make our kitchen feel too much like an office. Is there a way of fixing a more substantial grid that could support plasterboard ceiling with downlighters? The ceiling is concrete and in a victorian mansion block, with a flat above.

had a garage conversion to a play room,and did not have building regs on it ,can building control force me to put work right, that dose not come up to builing regs

How can I tell if an internal wall is load bearing? Do builders usually charge to check this if we are unsure?

calculating specs for RSJ (size, load bearing capacity etc)

bit of a challenge this ... I want to knock through a load bearing ground floor internal brick wall supporting one further floor - span of 320cm, ending on a course of blockwork at each end (so hopefully the padstones can be seated on these rather than building up any piers).

What elements are needed to calculate the RSJ spec... I guess its vertical and lateral load? Any clues on how to go about calculating that? Someone said to look at the size of the current joists and calculate from that but I'm unsure how to do that?

Thanks in advance...

Garage Conversion - really Cold!

We had the garage converted to a bedroom this time last year.
It is so so cold in there, no where near anything like the house, is this normal?

Thank you for your response,

The walls have got the (excuse the description) squashed flat type of insulation that the building inspector made him use rather than the normal bouncy stuff. There is a radiator that comes on at the same time as the house.

I just remember the builder saying its going to be such a warm room, with the insulation in here, there am attic in there that is full to the brim with insulation.

What can I do to sort it out?

how big of a job would it be and what would be the full cost of putting an internal doorway in between two bedrooms?

What qualification certificates do i need to see?

Basically the question is in the title, I was wondering what certificates i need to see from him before he starts the work and how can i tell if they are genuine. Sorry!! I meant to state that it's a builder i am refering too as i am having a conversion done. Thankyou to everyone for their input including the sarcastic comments too!!

I want to knock down a load-bearing wall - Do I need structural engineer / permission from the council?

I want to knock down a load-bearing wall between two downstairs rooms. I have had quotes from different builders who have all said very different things about what needs to be done... some say I need a structural engineer, some say I need permission from the council, and some say I don't need either of this and they can just knock it down. Which is right?

Hi do you need planning permision to build a garage in a back garden??

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Need some tips or advice?

Ask a Question