Ask a Tradesman

Architectural Services Questions

Our expert architects have kindly agreed to share their wisdom on such topics as planning permission, structural surveys, hiring the right architect, architectural drawings, saggy roofs, removing walls, extensions, building plans and much more.

Answered your question? You can find a reliable and local Architect in your area today!

245 Architectural Services questions

Help with Building Regulations Drawings

To apply for building regulations, do I need to provide scale/building regulations drawing, is this different to drawing of the plan? The only thing I have is the plan drawn up by my architect which is approved by local authority, but I now need to apply for "full plan, or building notice" and would like to know how to get the building regulation drawings. Is this something the builders can do? Or do I need to hire another Architect to do this as I am unable to get hold of my Architect. Also what is the difference between, "full plan" and "Building notice"? Do I need to apply for both as it cost over £700 for each application. My Planning Application has been approved but I am not sure if this drawing is enough for the builders to work on, and if not then what I can do

Please can someone let me know. Many many thanks in advance

we have just bought a bungalow,we want to knock 3 walls down to open up the main bedroom and box room which we then want to turn into our lounge,

who do we need to draw up the plans for the builders? architect or structural engineer or both? the reason for doing this is because the lounge at the minute is on the front of the bungalow and we want to add a conservatory with bi folding doors leading into it,and of course we couldnt put it on the front,
thanks guys

Removing Internal wall....Its very urgent!

its very urgent!

We have bought a house which has got a downstairs,bath and seperate toilet,which are sepaerated by a Non bearing wall(confirmed by the builder,after taking away the upstairs floor boards etc),we want to remove that wall,to make a larger all in one proper bathroom,is there any planning permission required or any building regulation?

Second,In upstairs bathroom,we plan to make it a jack and jill ensuite,so means,cutting through 2 walls and putting in 2 doors in there,and stud walling the exsisting door,any council issues,planning permission or building regulations involved?

Its urgent please


Planning permission - do I need it if my neighbours have done the same thing?

I would like to replace the garage door with the wall and the window and convert the garage into a room. Several years ago I submitted the plans and was refused - council cited it would alter the face of the street etc. However, now almost 65% of my neighbours have done just that and everyone has different face - some have used brick, some PVC panelling and windows are different. I would like to do it above board so once I am selling the house I have no problems with it. I understand I need a certificate.

My questions are; do I need to apply for the planning permission (council says yes although I did not speak to the planning officer) and does it need to be to scale with all the work I intend to do?

Can they refuse me given the fact people have done that in the same terraced property as mine and this has been standing for over 2 years?

What happens if I go ahead and do it without the certificate and I am then selling the house? Does the council certificate mean it will then be registered at the land registry and/or on the deeds as a two bedroom house rather than one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance


hi two questions, wanting a porch built front of house 6 x 3 feet where do i get plans drawn up?and is it allowable to have downstairs toilet entry from kitchen?,

regards to toilet issue, obviously would have a door on, and have its own basin and extractor fan, have looked at building regs and more confused!, toilet would be against back wall of house and pipe would go through wall and straight onto existing soil pipe

Are there regulations governing the minimum height for a window sill?

If for example the sash window were on the 4th floor of a building and there is a risk of 'falling out' of the window if the window sill were too low.

I need to find the location of a manhole

I am facing a drain blockage in my house and unfortunately i could not find where my manhole is kept. Could u please give me an information how can i find the location of manhole.

Builder insurance cover

Why some builders listed have insurance and some don't, if they don't have insurance, does that means that the building under construction is not insured ?.

Removing a backdoor

We want to remove our kitchen backdoor & replace with a window so our kitchen units can run around the edge of our kitchen. Do we need planning permission to change the backdoor / block it up and replace with a window? Or do we just need building regs? We live in Merton. Thanks

Drawings for builders quotes

The drawings submitted by my architect for obtaining planning permission have no measurements/dimensions on them, is this usual practice? The builders I have asked to provide quotes have asked me for drawings with measurements on them. I have contacted the architect but have so far received no response, should I be expected to pay further fees for technical drawings?
Thanks for your answer Darren. The drawings do have a scale on them but say "do not scale off these drawings for construction". Should I have applied to Building control/regs first before asking for quotes?

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Designers who can help you with your project.

Need some tips or advice?

Ask a Question