We’re hiring! Marketers, customer service and software developers.

Cleverley Builders

Top trades
  • Carpenter & Joiner
  • Extension Builder
  • Painter & Decorator
  • Bathroom Fitter
  • Roofer
  • Kitchen Fitter
  • Restoration & Refurb Specialist
  • Chimney & Fireplace Specialist
  • Bricklayer
  • Loft Conversion Specialist
  • Tiler
  • Groundworker
  • Plasterer
  • New Home Builder
  • Conversion Specialist
  • Driveway Paver
  • Fencer
  • Window Fitter
  • Damp Proofing Specialist
  • Insulation Installer
  • Conservatory Installer
  • Demolition Contractor
  • Plumber
  • Electrician
  • Heating Engineer
  • Landscape Gardener
  • Flooring Fitter
  • Gas Engineer

Ask a Tradesman answers

Below are this tradesman's answers to questions posted by our community.

I want to add a Balustrade with wooden spindles to my staircase

It would take 2 carpenters 1 day at 180 per man and 60 waste removal
420 plus vat 84 - 504.00 plus material

Answered 9th Oct 2011

What is the best method of installing mdf skirting boards? adhesive? plugs & screws?

I agree with hampshire carpenter
If You have the luxury of a 2nd fix nail gun then you can tack the mitres with this or you can buy mitre fix which holds the mitre perfect
If the walls have been plastered then make sure they are dry first otherwise they won't stick
Best regards

Answered 9th Sep 2011

does a new roof require building permission or approval

if you have clay tiles and intend changing to concrete you may need to increase the size of the rafters because of the extra weight

Answered 19th Jan 2012

whats the best way to take down lining paper thats been painted over?

you can buy a spiked roller to break up the surface of the paper then use a steam stripper, the spiked roller allows the steam to penatrate the paper

Answered 23rd Aug 2011

Bathroom re-fit - help!

Hi nursey14
It seems a bit high depending on the cost of the bathroom suite. We have just completed a bathroom refit for less. Where abouts do you live.
Mike Cleverley

Answered 30th Jan 2012

Felt under roof tiles has split - what are the options?

In my opinion the best way for a quick repare would be to lift the tiles around the problem area, cut the batons back out the way and replace the damaged felt with a breathable felt. Then fix back the batons and relay the tiles.

Answered 25th Apr 2012

Is it usual to request for a 50% deposit before any work has been completed, especially when the company is not VAT registered ?

you should agree a 20% deposit and 3 stage payments as the works progress. Also work to a schedule
Mike Cleverley

Answered 3rd Aug 2011

i have a inspection cover where i want the extension to go, ca this be moved?

Hi Kam
it depends on who owns the drain you or wessex water.
If its you you can lintel over the pipe, if its wessex water you will need to contact them.
If you need any more help contact me
Mike Cleverley

Answered 11th Jan 2012

Fitting a kitchen of 15 units

the last b and q kitchen we fitted took a week and was v bad quality i suggest before getting a fitter in you open and check all parts are there and nothing is damaged it was nothing but trouble 300.00 is too cheap for a decent fitting of a kitchen cost should be around 7-900.00 for a quality fitter to install

Answered 25th May 2011


Hi Dave
You can remove the boxing and expose the bulk head, it will need some larger timbers to carry any weight, should'nt be a problem though.
Cleverley Contractors

Answered 10th Aug 2011

Do I need a permit from the Council to demolish and rebuild the front wall of my house?

depending on your area but as long as you dont rebuild the wall to much out of character no ones going to mind as long as its not a listed
you can fit new doors and windows like for like but you will need FENSA registered installers for re-sale purposes
it is quicker to dot and dab the wall and skim over as there is less drying times involved

Gary Cleverley

Answered 25th May 2011

Flexible mortar - such a thing?

the best way to fix this (without looking) is expanding foam down the joint then mastic, mortar is sand mixed with cement this will always crack as the door is always in use, a good tradesman would rake the joint then expanding foam then mastic/silicone over or if over 12mm a timber/plastic bead would be idea cost from 30-60 depending on how far away they have to travel or if you are handy then your local diy shop can sort you the tools you need remember to wear gloves with exspanding foam and easy on the trigger as it can get messy any excess should be left to cure hard then cut back with a sharp knife best of luck
kind regards Gary Cleverley

Answered 26th May 2011

can anyone advise how to fit stand pipes for a free standing bath. My builder/plumber is struggling to understand how the plumbing works - over or under floor tiles? Thank you

couple of ways build a false wall next to the bath to run services in or get the right tap gear for the bath
go to plumb city and look at the displays theres options but its your choice how to do it without seeing the layout or the room thats all i can say

Answered 7th Jun 2011

The felt(I assume it's felt) inside the roof area of my 4 bed house, although the forth bed is a newish extension, is hanging of in places. Is this going to be a big

Hi Molly_36
It sounds like your felt has perished. You may need to replace soon, ie refelt & batten, you may be able to reuse your tiles.
Mike Cleverley

Answered 18th Aug 2011

How can i get permission for a two story extension for a terraced house?

Hi akahriman you can apply for planing permission at your local council office depending on where you live, If you google search planing in your area then you should be given a step by step guide. I hope this is of some help

Cleverley contractors

Answered 11th Sep 2011

Hi building an extention and was wondering do i need to tie in and use ties bellow dpc or wait till above dpc two course above ground level regards john

No you don't need to tie in but you should fill the cavity with concrete to about 80mm below dpc sloping outwards then dpc course then tie in to party wall with wall starters and tie each course 0.450 vertical and 0.900 horizontally and every course around openings don't forget your cavity trays and weep vents best of luck Gary Cleverley

Answered 12th Sep 2011

can you use sandtex paint on inside walls?


Answered 21st Nov 2011

Toilet Cistern Slow to Fill

try cleaning the fitting you may have grit in the washer which may have been disturbed when fitted

Answered 12th Dec 2011

i have discovered 2 cracks in my shower cubicle floor. its plastic. is it possible to repair or do i need to change the base? what kind of cost would i be looking at to change the base?

Depends how big the base is and the style you need, will the tiles stay the same
working on a 750x750 basic shower tray around 200-500 fitted inc encloser

Answered 15th Dec 2011

Who to hire if bathroom needs damp proofing and many other works?

Hi beatrice_28
We have carried repairs simular to your problem, if you are in the Bristol area please contact me otherwise get in touch with the Federation of Master Builders.
Mike Cleverley

Answered 12th Jan 2012

View all Questions and Answers

How MyBuilder Works

Post a job
Describe what needs to be done
Get Quotes
Tradesmen respond quickly online
Hire Tradesman
Compare profiles & feedback reviews
Leave Feedback
Your review matters!