We need to talk about the state of Britain’s bathrooms
Two thirds of people (67%) are unhappy with their bathrooms, according to a new survey of UK homeowners.
The people of Britain have opened the door on the disgusting state of their bathrooms, revealing their biggest pet hates, embarrassing confessions - and even admitting to dumping their partners over their grimy en suites.
Nearly half of all people surveyed (45%) said it was the room in their home they most wanted to renovate, while 41% admitted to being embarrassed by their bathroom when friends came to visit.
The dire state of our bathrooms is also dividing friendships and ending relationships. More than a third of people (38%) admitted to holding it in while visiting a friend’s house because their bathroom was too disgusting to use. A quarter of people (25%) said they had fallen out with housemates or partners over the state of their bathroom, while shockingly, 24 people (6%) confessed they had actually dumped their partner over the issue.
The biggest turnoffs people had about bathrooms was low water pressure in the shower and wonky toilet seats, with 56% of people listing them as major gripes. Toilets that don’t flush properly (47%), carpet in the bathroom (44%), and no lock on the bathroom door (35%) were also listed as big pet hates.
However, many people confessed that their own bathrooms are guilty of the same bugbears. Nearly a third of people (31%) admitted to having a wonky toilet seat, while no lock on the door (23%), separate hot and cold taps (21%), a badly placed or missing loo roll holder (19%) and low water pressure (18%) also featured heavily.
(423 British homeowners responded to the survey in June 2017, carried out by MyBuilder, the online marketplace for finding quality tradesmen.)
Notes for editors
www.mybuilder.com is an an online marketplace that enables homeowners to find excellent tradesmen, with a mission to change the building industry for good.
Based on a principle of accountability through feedback, our unique system makes finding quality tradesmen easier and helps quality builders to find better work.
Around 45,000 tradesmen use the site, some 75,000 jobs are posted every month, and 2.8 million jobs have been posted to date.
To download the MyBuilder logo and photograph of CEO Ryan Notz, visit https://www.mybuilder.com/press-centre
— 2017-08-01 10:00:00
- 4th Dec 2017 Heroic Tradesmen are giving up their time this Christmas to help families in need
- 1st Aug 2017 We need to talk about the state of Britain’s bathrooms
- 10th Feb 2017 Lincolnshire builder wins nationwide Job of the Year award!
- 10th Feb 2017 Ten tradesmen who put the ‘great’ into Great Britain!
- 8th Sep 2015 Everything you thought you knew about builders is wrong | #ModernBuilder
- 1st Sep 2015 Hextable‐based Builder Becomes Kent’s Number One Tradesperson
- 20th Aug 2015 The Winner of Britain’s Worst Garden Competition
- 20th Aug 2015 Have you got Britain’s Worst Garden?
- 20th Aug 2015 Tradesmen Prefer Tories, But Would Rather Work With Farage
- 11th May 2015 HERO PROJECT 2013
- 26th Jun 2014 BRITAIN’S WORST KITCHEN – IT’S OFFICIAL!
- 4th Sep 2012 MyBuilder.com seeks out Best Builders’ Breakfast in Britain
- 30th Jul 2012 MyBuilder.com makes sure your builder is not stuck in Olympic traffic