Replace ceilings and joists & internally insulate - Restoration & Refurbishment job in Bristol, Avon
Victorian house room refurbishment - first floor including ceiling to ground floor. All the rooms are approx 3.6 x 3.6m. Ceiling height is 2.95m on both ground and first floor. One room has 2 outside walls and one window. The other room has one outside wall and one window.
We would like someone who can demonstrate good understanding of and attention to details such as reducing cold bridging, sound insulation and airtightness. Also, a sensible attitude towards any surprises that an old house might spring on us.
It is not possible to get a skip directly below the windows to these rooms but they look out onto our back garden which has a pedestrian gate out onto a road. The windows on the first floor are new double glazed sashes and do not come out but do open fully (and we don't want them damaged!)
FIRST FLOOR ROOMS
1. Remove old lath and plaster ceilings and replace.
2. Put rockwool batts between the second floor joists from below for sound insulation before the ceiling goes back up.
3. Internally insulate external walls (there are 3) with a continuous layer of rigid phenolic board, attach battens to wall through the insulation and put additional insulation between, board with fermacel (may also require additional vapour membrane). Depth of insulation will create window reveals, so we will need window sills (1 per room, so 2 in total)
4. Add appropriate sound insulation to stud wall dividing these 2 rooms (lath & plaster) but see (5) below and make good.
5. Remove old lath and plaster ceilings, joists and joining wall (has opening in already) in two rooms in ground floor (plus first floor floorboards). There is a stud wall sitting on top of the brick joining wall which may or may not have to be replaced.
6. Replace first floor joists (these will be turned through 90 degrees compared to existing, architect will produce spec in due course but likely to be large timber epoxied and screwed to outside wall and staircase wall with joists hung off). Put down flooring but no ceiling for ground floor.
We are going to undertake extensive re-wiring and will lay underfloor heating pipes in these first floor rooms and we will require a bit of time to do this.
Feedback for 3CBuild Ltd
Toby and Martyn did a first rate job. They worked some long days and kept us up to date with progress all the time. They were able to use the material that we had already purchased and although this wasn't the easiest way to do it they made a lovely job of it. Their plasterer is superb, the electrician very skilled and tidy and our house was left clean and tidy at the end.
no51 6th Mar, 2009 Positive feedback
Register and start receiving leads
Pick and choose from leads in your area
Contact details are exchanged
Win work and build your portfolio
- Tradesman start
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery