Now that advent has begun, we always remember that December is one of the busiest times of year; scrambling to buy presents, running from party to party, and preparing for the big day. Whether you’re hosting friends and family, or just hibernating for the festive period, we’ve come up with the Twelve Jobs of Christmas to help your Yuletide go smoothly.
1. Boiler: Nothing kills the festive atmosphere faster than a cold house, and when it comes to keeping your radiators warm and your water hot, maintaining your boiler is essential. Check that any tradesmen working on your gas are on the Gas Safe Register.
2. Insulation: Hand in hand with checking your boiler, if you need help to keep your home cosy this winter, make sure your insulation is up to scratch - and it could save you money too.
3. Chimney: It’s Father Christmas’ favourite way of getting into a home, but a neglected chimney can cause lots of problems down the line. Ensure yours is in full working order, especially if you have open fireplaces or a stove.
4. Roof: As a runway for reindeer, a loose tile could cause a nasty accident - as well as letting in rain and causing damage. It’s always worth checking before the worst winter weather arrives.
5. Decorate: There’s no point going to town on Christmas decorations if your home’s normal decor isn’t up to scratch. Whether you need a lick of paint or a total overhaul, chat with a professional about your options.
6. Electrics: A tree isn’t complete without a set of lights, but be careful with old sets that may be faulty, and don’t overload plug sockets with shiny new gadgets. If your wiring needs a check-up, use a competent electrician who can self-certify their work.
7. Greenery: Some of the nicest decorations, like holly, ivy and mistletoe can come straight from your own garden, but if you have more work that needs doing, a tree surgeon or landscape gardener could be the solution.
8. Oven: No matter how big your oven is, it never seems to be enough to tackle a whole Christmas dinner. There’s still time to install a shiny new model.
9. Security: Sadly, thieves know that Christmas can be rich pickings when it comes to homes stuffed with new tech and jewellery - installing a simple security system, or upgrading your locks, can help protect your valuables.
10. Design: While it’s easy to fall back in love with your home over Christmas, there’s nothing wrong with dreaming of an upgrade - and some architect’s plans could be the perfect present to yourself.
11. Plumbing: Having a house full of guests is always fun - but it can be hard going on the plumbing. If you have a dodgy flush or anything else, get in touch with a plumber before it’s too late.
12. Everything else: If there’s one thing you can predict at Christmas, it’s that something unpredictable will happen. When it does, a local handyman can help with a multitude of jobs.