Locksmiths trade jargon

Jargon by trade

A type of moulding that is used to cover the gap where two doors meet.


A plate that is attached to a door, to which a nightlatch can be fixed.


The part of the key into which the teeth are cut.


A piece of metal which sticks out from the lock mechanism and sits in the keep or strike plate, holding the door in place.


The end of a key that is held in the fingers.

BS 3621

British Standards 3621: The consumer standard which modern locks should meet.


The central part of a lock containing pins or tumblers, into which the key is entered.


Also known as a deadbolt; a single lock turned by a key which moves a bolt into the latch.



Items fitted to the door including handles and plates, door knockers, letterboxes.



The vertical part of a door or window frame.

Multi-point lock

A type of lock mechanism that has more than one locking point, typically found on PVCu doors.


A type of lock fitted to the inside of a door with a latch on a spring that engages automatically. Commonly referred to as a Yale lock.

Striking plate

Also know as a striker or keep. A metal plate fixed to the door frame or jamb into which the bolt fits, securing the door.

All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.