Flooring trade jargon

Jargon by trade

The process of leaving new flooring materials in place for a period of time to adjust to temperature and humidity levels, allowing for better fitting.

Beveled edge

Also known as a V-groove. This refers to flooring where each board is indented at the corners, highlighting the gaps between them.


When floorboards lift at the edges due to excess moisture.

Door bar

Also known as cover strips, these cover carpet joins at doorways or protect a heavily used piece of carpet from wear.

Engineered wood

Layers of hardwood pressed together to form sheets or planks, for example for flooring.

Floating floor

A kind of floor where each plank is connected together, and not attached to the subfloor below.

Laminated wood

Thin layers of wood glued together with aligned grains to form boards.


A common flooring material made of canvas coated with linseed oil, powered cork and rosin.


A type of flooring made up of wooden boards that can either join together or simply sit next to one another.

Skirting or skirting board

A piece of wood that runs along the bottom of interior walls, where they meet the floor.

Solid boards

Also referred to as solid hardwood flooring, real wood flooring where each board is cut to shape.


The original floor that a wooden floor can be built on top of.


A layer of material laid between a covering and a sub-structure - for example between a carpet and the floorboards beneath it.


All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.