Fencing trade jargon

Jargon by trade
Bitumen-based paint

Solvent-based, fast drying paint that can be used to protect numerous materials including ferrous and non-ferrous metals, concrete, roofing felt, fibre/cement,corrugated iron, asphalt and wood.

Fence clip

A device that fixes fence panels to the posts.

Fence panel

A distinct section of fence supported between the fence posts.

Fence post

The vertical elements of a fence, set in the ground as a supporting the structure.

Fence post caps

A cover designed to fit on top of a fence post.

Fence spikes

The supportive posts which hold up a fence.

Gravel boards

A board installed at the bottom of a fence connecting the ground and the fence, designed to be easily replacable as it is the most liable to rot.

Overlap fencing (also known as lap fencing)

Fencing made up of panels where boards run horizontally between posts. The panels are surrounded in a frame.

Palisade fencing

A type of fencing made up of either metal or wooden stakes with gaps in between.

Pressure treated fencing

A form of fencing made of wood that has been treated with a preservative that penetrates deep inside, to protect it against wet rot and insect damage.

T mark

Used on conveyancy documents to show boundaries, they can indicate ownership.

Trellis fencing

A form of fencing made up of crossed strips of wood.


All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.