Fascias, Soffits & Guttering trade jargon

Jargon by trade
Down pipe

A plastic, cast iron or steel pipe which takes rain water away from gutterings to drains.


The lower edges of a sloping roof where the first tiles of slates are laid into the fascia board.

Fascia board

The panels attached to the eaves to cover rafter ends to which the guttering is fixed.


A trough that directs water from the eaves to the down pipes.

Soffit board

A panel fixed to the lower end of rafters underneath the eaves of a house.


A layer of material laid between a covering and a sub-structure - for example between a carpet and the floorboards beneath it.


All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.