Electrical trade jargon

Jargon by trade
Breaker panel

An electrical service panel containing circuit breakers.

BS 7671

British Standards BS 7671: The UK standard for electrical installations, informally known as the "Regs"



To close off an electrical or plumbing system.


A trench cut into plaster or masonry to make space for electrical cabling or pipework.

Circuit breaker

A device which automatically breaks an electrical circuit when a fault, such as a power surge, is detected.

Competent Persons (Electrical)

Electricians who are registered with a relevant Competent Person Scheme can self-certify that their work is compliant with Building Regulations.

Read full explanation


Sometimes called a duct, tubing typiclally made of metal or plastic, used to house cables.

Consumer unit

Sometimes calls a Consumer Control Unit (CCU) or Consumer Distribution Unit, and commonly known as a fusebox - the central panel where incoming electricity connects to the home circuits.


Also known as a recessed light or spotlight, a light fixture that is installed in a hollow opening in the ceiling.


Electrical installation condition report (EICR): A report that details the state of a property’s electrics.

Part P

A common way of refering to building regulations which cover electrical installations.


Residual current device (RCD); a device in an electrical circuit which detects the difference in current between live conductors and disconnects them if their is a fault.

Spark or sparkie

Trade nickname for an electrician.

All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.