Conservatories trade jargon

Jargon by trade

The side of a conservatory that adjoins the existing house.


A noble gas used to fill the space between sheets of glass in some double glazed windows, chosen for its insulating properties.

Base wall

A low wall made up of a small number of brick courses at the bottom of a conservatory.


A decorative feature that can be used on a conservatory roof.

Edwardian conservatory

A square-shaped conservatory capped with an apex roof.

Full-fill cavity

A wall cavity that has been completely filled with insulation.


A horizontal beam, made of metal or wood, which can support a ceiling, wall or floor.


A type of conservatory that attaches to a house, typically rectangular with a slanted roof.


A horizontal beam supporting a wall above a door or window.


Party wall

A boundary between two properties over which both sides has legal rights.


Previously known as uPVC - Polyvinyl Chloride (Unplasticised); a material that is used to make some conservatories, doors and windows. Alternatives are hardwood or aluminium.


Rolled steel joist; used as a structural support across wide openings.

Read full explanation

Sleeper wall

A low wall that supports ground floor joists.

Victorian conservatory

A conservatory with more than four sides and an apex roof, often topped with a crest.

All Trademarks™ or Registered® Trademarks belong to their respective holders, and their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.