aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
My radiators smell after painting?
My radiators have been painted with gloss paint,and when the heating is on they give off a disgusting smell how can I solve the problem please.
- Ylorrie_39 20th Nov, 2012 Painting & Decorating
- share this question:
u 0 Like
Hi, if your radiators have been painted with oil based gloss in the last few days, although oil based paint dries after 16 to 24 hours for re-coating purposes, the gloss paint won't be fully hardened (or cured as it's known) for at least 7 days and can be longer.
This means that during the curing process time frame there are still solvents in the paint that are evaporating quite slowly into the air...but as soon as you add heat to the process, you are causing the solvents to evaporate at a faster rate, therefore increasing the amount of solvent in the air.
Heat + lots of solvent = SMELLYl!!!
Once the solvents have all evaporated the smell will go.
My advice: next time switch to using the much more environmentally friendly water based eggshell, as well as the more recent water based gloss finish paints that are fast replacing oil based paints. Using oil based paint these days is becoming considered old fashioned practice for health and environmental reasons.
Exterior water based eggshell and gloss finish paints are exceptionally great for radiators. Exterior paints have more flexibility in them to allow for greater expansion and contraction that is required due to greater temperature changes outside...so perfect for radiators!
And my last point: with paint, you get what you pay for! My advice is: spend more on decent paint and fillers and achieve much better, longer lasting results.
Paint brands that I use a lot because they have made the greatest advances in water based paints are: Farrow & Ball & Little Greene for interior and exterior.
Many other brands just haven't cracked it yet...which is probably why many decorators are reluctant to make the switch from oil to water based paints.
I have many more trade secrets...
- Christina Valentine - Valentine Refurbishments 21st Nov, 2012
- Why has the special radiator paint crazed when i painted it on the radiator? Ymandy_637 22nd Mar, 2014
- Smell when the radiator is on Yjennycoenen 17th Sep, 2013
- I am moving in to a 3 bed house which needs to be fully painted. Me and my friends were planning to paint it ourselves. What paint is best and should I be using different paints for different rooms. Ysindy123 29th May, 2011
- Painting bathroom pipes with radiator paint Ylukew_61 7th Jul, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery