aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Vaulted roof ceiling
Looking to change a flat roof into a vaulted ceiling pitched roof. Here is a list of materials i will be using : Pitch is about 18%
Redland or Marley roof tiles
200mm x 50mm rafters
Ruberoid breathable felt
celotex XR4000 150mm between rafter insulation with 25mm air gap
any other materials that i need? ie what size straps/masonry hangers, etc?
and how else would i make the roof supported if im going for a vaulted ceiling without cross joists? building regs suggest i need a structural calculation for that...do you guys agree?
- Ysisonpyh 26th Jun, 2012 Roofing
- share this question:
u 0 Like
to meet current building regs you need 100mm celotex between rafters and 40mm celotex under plasterboard to stop cold spots all els seems ok, good luck
- PHOENIX CONSTRUCTION 26th Jun, 2012
u 0 Like
My advise to you is hire a professional to complete this for you,cutting a pitched roof is no job for D.I.Y.ers
- m w building construction and property maintenance 27th Jun, 2012
u 0 Like
Pitch looks a bit low for a vaulted ceiling and the tiles need to be capable of being laid to 18 degrees or did you mean % !
No details of span or what centres your rafters are so hard to say if what you are doing is right.
Looks like you've missed off the battens 25x50 are better to work off.
Straps 1200 long at 1200 c/c should do
Hangars - to suit the joists
I'd listen to the Building Control and get some calcs done - you could even post the job here !
- SBS Ltd 27th Jun, 2012
- insulation under a flat roof in the space between the roof and the plasterboard ceiling Ywilliams_96 10th Feb, 2013
- Work being done on single storey pantry 3m x 3m. Ceiling has been taken away so that the full height of the room is a pitched roof - no collar ties put in. Should there be some to support the roof? Yceltic_64 4th Feb, 2012
- My back bedroom has a flat roof, there is no insulation. The windown and door come virtually up to the ceiling. How can I get some insulation into the ceiling Yhighbury22 8th Feb, 2012
- Lath and Plaster ceiling replacement what's involved? Ynovicehomeowner 22nd Feb, 2013
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery