aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Sharp sand or builders sand ?
I am laying a patio at home in a couple of weeks. The paving flags are between 22mm-30mm thick. Should I mix sharp sand with the cement or builders sand and should I use 5 parts sand to 1 part cement? Thanks.
- Ylittlevillain 24th May, 2012 Landscape Gardening
- share this question:
u 10 Liked
If you don't know this then get someone in who does, who knows how the patio will end up? I know nothing about computers so I wouldn't think about building one.
- substructure 25th May, 2012
u 8 Like
Use sharp sand and a little builders/soft sand
Not too much water as they may float around when laid.
Make sure you wet them thoroughly after laying though for the next few days and no walking on them for as long as possible.
Point the joints with a strong
2:1:1 Soft:Sharp:Cement mortar mix
Again not too wet but wet once done and wet every day for the next week - especially important when the weather's hot.
- SBS Ltd 25th May, 2012
u 3 Liked
There's more to laying paving than simply the ratio and type of mortar mix. Ask 5 different paviours and you'll get 5 different methods, some use a little sharp sand to strengthen the mortar and some prefer soft only, depending of course on the type of slabs, substrate / ground and how it's been prepared.
Some applications / slabs / ground combinations don't require any mortar at all.
Don't forget the correct falls for all that surface water will you and the level below DPC and good luck with the cutting & pointing.
- Amwell Property Services 25th May, 2012
u 2 Liked
Hi you use both. The mix is 4 sharp sand, 2 building sand, 1 cement,also put a bit of sbr bonding agent in.Keep the top surface of your flags minimum 150 mil below any damp courses and running away from your house if laying against your house.
good luck John
- total residential property services 25th May, 2012
u 2 Liked
With sub again :) What about consistency of gear,correct falls etc?
- Roc builders 25th May, 2012
- What can be mixed with builders sand - laying flags? Ythirteen 26th Sep, 2014
- Building sand instead of plastering sand for render? Yjim_290 18th Sep, 2014
- cheapest driveway option - sand and cement mix or sand over gravel? Ya786m 21st Apr, 2014
- can i lay paving slabs for a driveway on a wet mix of sharp sand and cement Ygrumpy_gramps 25th May, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery