aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
what are the pros and cons of wall panels v tiles in a bathroom
- Ytinker_96 18th Jan, 2012 Tiling
- share this question:
u 4 Like
If your walls are sound and straight the wall boards can be quick and very easy to install. If not then you may need for them to be battened out and the boards screwed to them.
Tiles also need a good surface but it take much longer to tile a room than to board it.
The Finnish on boards is much more hygienic and easy to clean due to no grout lines that can become stained over time.
The boards must have a sealant added to each joint to make them water tight and due the fact there are so little joints compared to tiling the risk of leaking over time is reduced.
The cons of boards are some can be made from a type of a honey cone PVC and these can warp when you screw items to them and also they can be quite brittle and crack or chip and dent if they receive a hit from something falling against them. Due to the nature of the tong and groove system if a board does become damaged then you cant just slip it out and replace it as the whole wall need to be removed and if it has been glued then it will be a total loss. Repairs to tiles are easy and quick if you have a few spare saved.
I feel shower walls are to much for a full bathroom and can look a little to plastic but that's just personal taste. With good preparation work and good materials tiles will last a very long time and stay clean.
Hope this helps
- CW Domestic Plumbing 19th Jan, 2012
u 1 Liked
Wal panels are ideal for covering rough surfaces, and have built in look a like grout, so no more dirt grout problems. Easy to cut and install.
- All Aspects Building Co 19th Jan, 2012
- Fitting new wall tiles over original wall tiles in bathroom Yhelpseeker 8th Jul, 2013
- I have recently removed tile of a bathroom wall....the adhesive is still on the wall...can anyone tell me how to remove it easily??? or is it possible to tile over the adhesive again? Yseanie1 19th Jul, 2011
- Will putting wall panels on top of tiles in bathroom help to stop leak? Yrbrem 28th Jul, 2013
- Porcelain wall tiles - Crack developed across one wall tile for no reason??? Ysooty_32 1st Nov, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery