aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Can you help a damsal in distress? I've recently had a new kitchen fitted which included a cooker extractor which has an external vent.
During the cold and windy winter months my kitchen was freezing due to cold air coming through the external vent into the kitchen.Is there an external vent on the market that I could open/close as required? If not, any suggestions.
Any help to solve this problem would be much appreciated..
- Ymd51bvy 20th Mar, 2011 Kitchen Fitting
- share this question:
u 2 Like
Yes there is, and they are available in any diy store, it fits in place on the outlet, on the outside wall. you probably won't even have to redrill. It basically just has a few fins on it that close under gravity, when the fan is on, it pushes the fins open. Supprised it made the kitchen considerably colder though. If you have a radiator in the kitchen, have you felt it to check it's working fully. If it's cold at the top it needs venting, if its cold at the bottom in the middle, your system may need flushing. Hope the flappy vent works.
- Devon Trade Team 21st Mar, 2011
u 1 Like
normaly a hood vent only opens when the hood is on i.e there our flaps that close down when it in not on. if urs is not this i have no idea what u have had fitted
- william bradley 21st Mar, 2011
u 1 Like
Hi, sorry to hear your kitchen fitters coulld not sort this out for you.
There is an external vent that is fitted with gravity operated shutters. when the extractor is operating the shutters open with the flow of air and when the extractor is off the shutters drop shut. Hope this is of some help and reduces the draught in your kitchen.
- kevin cassidy building contractors 21st Mar, 2011
u 1 Like
HI , As well as an outside vent which only opens when switched on . there should be a non returnable flap on the inside of the extractor . at the other end of your flexi ducting extractor end. hopes this helps as you should not be getting blow back when windy outside
- RS installations 24th Mar, 2011
u 0 Like
if your outside vent has a cowl fitted replace it with a vent that only opens when the extractor is working ,they are fairly cheap and easty to replace
- evergreen joinery services 20th Mar, 2011
- Gas cookers in kitchens without doors/windows opening to outside air. UK regs Ybailey_86 9th Nov, 2012
- Cooker Extractor hood up chimney? Yjames266 23rd Aug, 2012
- If a kitchen is wired for an electric cooker is it a big job to have a duel fuel range cooker fitted? Yruggerbuggerparker 7th Jan, 2012
- New kitchen, toilet and floors - so much to do and so much advice! Ytrusky 22nd Feb, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery