aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
What is the best way to prepare walls for painting after removing wallpaper?
I want to remove wallpaper and paint the walls once it has been removed. I am aware the walls might look a bit scabby.
What is the best way to prepare the walls for paint other than plastering?
All answers will be much appreciated.
- Ystuart290882 9th Jan, 2012 Painting & Decorating
- share this question:
u 5 Liked
Substructure's right if you want a 100% finish... How ever if cost is an issue then simply get all paper off, sugersoap is ok to clean paste, but I've always applied a white vinyl matt base coat straight after stripping then leave the walls for 24 hours to dry.
Once dry the white base coat WILL seal the paste back and stop paste contaminating further coats applied.
Filling and scraping is done on top of this base coat and being white it'll highlight all bad areas.
I've always done this system and never had a problem with the paste...
- T C PROPERTY MAINTENANCE 10th Jan, 2012
u 2 Like
wash the wall down with sugar soap thoroughly then with a damp cloth,give the wall a good rub down then apply filler to bad areas give a coat of paint then rub down and fill again repeat the process 1 more time and you should end up with perfect walls
- BuildIt Construction 10th Jan, 2012
u 2 Like
dont do this job on the cheap ,you must unibond and skim for 100% finish anything less will just not do ,if you dont and just sand down and paint there will be 100s of blemishes after you put the first coat on ,there are no cheap solutions to this type of work im afraid ,if you cant afford it now wait till you can
- substructure 10th Jan, 2012
u 1 Like
depending how bad the walls are,you can rub down,fill, rub down again and then line with 1200 lining paper.
- STM & Daughters 10th Jan, 2012
u 1 Like
Forget all the rigmarole that people feed you simply strip fill and rub down and second fill if required and sand down.Anyone that takes pride in there work will leave you with a finish that INSIDE OUT can provide . SIMPLE :]
- Inside-Out Surrey 15th Jan, 2012
- What's the best way to remove flaking paint from bedroom walls? Ymoojay 23rd May, 2011
- wall preperation / removal of old flaky paint on walls Ycozza_81 21st Mar, 2013
- What's the best way of removing sticky plastic labels from painted walls before repainting ? Yjolo_design 22nd Jun, 2013
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery