aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
why does my white paint quickly turn yellow
applied undercoat and topcoat to new doors in hall but the white paint used has yellowed
- Yhouston70 28th Nov, 2011 Painting & Decorating
- share this question:
u 3 Liked
This is due to use of vegetable oils to reduce the VOC content in the paint,in an attempt to make it less toxic.
If you want white paint then acrylic "waterbased" is your answer as it does not turn yellow but on the down side does not have same finish as oil based paint.
It's all about sustainability and water based paints conform to this and they are getting much better application and finish wise.
Oil based paints are the past, there are very good oil based paints such as "sikkens satura", little green, but they all yellow eventually.
Hope this as helped.
- Bright Painting & Decorating Services 29th Nov, 2011
u 2 Liked
A few queries:
I'm guessing they were already primed. You say you applied undercoat & topcoat, but what type? water based or oil?
I would still recommend Dulux oil based undercoat followed by an oil based gloss.
I find water based sometimes snag easily when applying & are not as hard wearing & have a much lower sheen.
Best o luck Paul
- mydecorator 29th Nov, 2011
u 1 Liked
Where the doors previously stained or varnished? if so they need to be Alliminium primered or zinzerr cover stain blocked first.
- Leon Specialist Decorators LTD 3rd Dec, 2011
- White paint quickly turning yellow! Ydevonian_10 31st Jul, 2011
- My Pure Brilliant White oil paint has turned yellow within a few weeks Ymichelucci 2nd Dec, 2011
- What is the best paint to use for shelves that won't yellow quickly? Yeccles123 8th Jun, 2012
- White paint going yellow Ybuzylizzy 27th Aug, 2012
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery