aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
What is reducing the pressure in the hot water tap in the kitchen?
We have a single mixer tap in the kitchen and the pressure for the cold water is brilliant but the hot water keeps losing pressure to the point where it only comes out in a trickle. As it is a single tap we know it is not a problem with the tap itself but also the water pressure in all bathroom taps and shower is perfect.
We have a single storey stable conversion and initially thought we would need a water pump to get enough pressure but it was all working well up until a few weeks ago. Do we really need a pump if it is only the one tap that seems to have a problem?!
The only other thing that we can think of that might be affecting it is the washing machine. This is situated in the airing cupboard below the water cylinder and is a couple of years old so has a hot and cold water feed. We have noticed that the pressure seems considerably worse after the washing machine has been used a couple of times.
- Ycathkat 17th Oct, 2011 Plumbing
- share this question:
u 8 Liked
Run off some hot water in the bathroom so that the hot water is not to hot.
Open the hot tap in the kitchen sink and place a cloth firmly over it, then slowly open the cold tap to push mains water back up the hot pipe.
If it's an air lock this should cure it although you may have to give it a couple of goes.
You would need a plumber to gave a look if this is a recurring problem
- Lambert plumbing, heating & gas 18th Oct, 2011
u 0 Like
it could be that the ballvalve that fills the cold water storage tank is not filling up quick enough after your washer has finished its cycle,it is also recomended to have a pump fitted if your system is gravity fed.
- gas engineer 18th Oct, 2011
u 0 Like
Yes you may find the mashing machine is hogging the pressure when filling, however if the rest of the house dose'nt seam to be affected it would tell me there most likely a problem with the tap. Do you know whether the tap is Ceramic disk or washer? if washer there is a likelyhood that the washer has become detached inside.
- J&M Plumbing Services 18th Oct, 2011
u 0 Like
If all the taps are ok other than the one in question, then is the tap in question high pressure tap?
If it is it will not work as well on a low pressure system.
- S.Banks Plumbing, Heating & Eco Energies Ltd 18th Oct, 2011
- Annoying problem - no pressure in hot water tap (bathroom basin) Yaires69uk 19th Jun, 2011
- My hot water pressure is low. It's a gravity fed system with the tank on the upper floor (not in the loft). What are my options to increase pressure to the kitchen and bathroom hot taps? Ybabychunder 9th May, 2011
- Lost hot water pressure in downstairs hot water tap Ypatrick_139 3rd Nov, 2014
- Hot water pressure fine intially but reduces to a trickle in the bath Ymaggie21 6th Nov, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery