aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Render - stopping penetrating damp
I have penetrating damp on my property, will render stop this?
- Ywhythelongface 17th Feb, 2011 Plastering
- share this question:
u 2 Like
No - the render will only cover and seal the damp short term, the render will blow and fall off and the damp will still be there. You will need to find the cause of the damp which may be a number of things.
Hope this is of some help.
- Rigsby Property Maintenance 17th Feb, 2011
u 2 Like
You need to find the cause of the problem before the solution can be applied. Bad pointing, rising damp and leaking gutters can all cause this. I recommend that all of the above be investigated. A damp meter can be purchased from B & Q for little or nothing and a set of ladders can see if the gutters are leaking and a quick look at the pointing will offer you a lot of info. Try the water hose test, it works.
- Completeplastering 17th Feb, 2011
u 1 Like
it can stop it. if you use water proofer in the mix. but it depends on whats causeing the problem. if its from above its usally the gutters are blocked,broken. if its from the ground it could be a dampproof problem. roy.
- northview property mainenance 17th Feb, 2011
u 0 Like
Find the cause of the damp and fix, Then seal with aqua seal or similar then render with waterproofer aswell many thanks Sean
- Ransom Building Services 17th Feb, 2011
u 0 Like
Colin is right ,you need to stop the damp from coming in/up before you render and let the walls dry out /if you render on damp brick or block work it will blow back off.
- MULTIbuild 17th Feb, 2011
- Penetrating damp on rendered gable end wall in Victorian end of terrace Ykatherine7316 21st Feb, 2014
- I having my wall damp proofed from penetrating damp but it looks like they have left a section. Yjuliao 17th Apr, 2013
- Penetrating Damp gable-end wall after loft conversion Yshed_boy 12th Apr, 2014
- Repair roughcasting to stop penetrating damp Ydw049 14th Nov, 2013
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery