aAsk a Tradesman
- Need some tips or advice?
- Post a Question
Hi can I paint wood chip board?
After a loft conversion my upstairs flooring is now bare chipboard. Would like a brilliant white gloss finish so am thinking of painting it. Do I need to varnish over the top? And can I fill any small chips in tieh wood filler? Thanks! Jay
- Yjay_68 29th May, 2011 Painting & Decorating
- share this question:
u 4 Liked
Yes you can. But you must retain some procedures:
1. rub it down well with sandpaper grade 80, 100
2. remove remains of dust, grease and other dirts
3. use oil based undercoat, and let it dry well
- Romans Renovations 30th May, 2011
u 2 Like
Hi, yes you can , you should first mixt some pva with water and pun on top of woodchip , then add several of coats of undercoat for wood, fill the board with woodfiller where need, sand and give another coat of undercoat then u can give last coat of gloss,
- Cs5 Builders 30th May, 2011
u 2 Like
Hi, Best thing to recommend is primer/undercoat first then your white paint then varnish with proper floor varnish, this will give you a nice finish and would be long lasting, to varnish over gloss would make the gloss turn yellowey< dont know if it a word lol > colour. your local ICI Dulux - Paint store should let you know more.
- Chamberlain Maintenance 30th May, 2011
u 2 Like
Make sure the chipboard is swept and clean then seal the flooring with a PVA and water mix of 20/80% ,undercoat with 2 coats if needed and then gloss.
Just make sure any gaps and joins are filled before using the PVA.
- Cannon Preservation 30th May, 2011
u 2 Like
personally mate I would use something like this an oil based gloss would take ages to cure enough to walk on.
SadolinSuperdec Opaque Wood Protection
- Can-Dec 17th Jun, 2011
u 1 Like
what colour is the chipboard? if its green its water resistant and may play a factor, i would imagin any chipboard is going to suck paint in alot, have you thought about using thine tongue and grove slats on top of the chipboard (like what you could use on a bath panel)to give you a flooring affect cheaply, and easyer to gloss.
- D.N.A Building Services Ltd 29th May, 2011
- I am laying a 20mm, t&g solid wood floor. The sub floor is chip board and not even. I am laying down a 5mm fibreboard and floating the wood foor on top no gluing. Is this ok, any advise appreciated?. Ygareths_12 9th Jan, 2012
- I am moving in to a 3 bed house which needs to be fully painted. Me and my friends were planning to paint it ourselves. What paint is best and should I be using different paints for different rooms. Ysindy123 29th May, 2011
- Old gloss paint - do I have to strip back to wood? Yhelen_298 8th Jan, 2014
- painting on newly plastered walls - need to put any other surface covering on walls before painting? Ynovice_40 25th Apr, 2014
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet Fitting
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Clearing
- Garages & Sheds
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Central Heating
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery