We’re hiring! Marketers, customer service and software developers.

Ask a Tradesman

Gas Work Questions

Our expert gas engineers have kindly agreed to share their wisdom on such topics as registrations and certifications, fitting a combi boiler, gas fireplaces, ventilation, gas cooker concerns, gas central heating, gas safety, piping and much more.

657 Gas Work questions

is it worth me selling off my old copper cylinder?

i am going to have a new combi boiler installed and i was wondering how much i could fetch for the cylinder and pipework and is worth me selling or letting the trademan taking it.

My gas boiler is making a lot of noise when it is working

I have a Potteron Flamingo 50s, that is make a lot of noise when in use, it is reasonable quiet just after it is turned on then after a minute or so the clanking and banging noises start and they are quite loud but the volume does die down over time.

I suspect it is quite old and being in a rented property I doubt it has been maintained properly. I was just wondering if this is something I need to be worried about or is it just normal for a boiler of this type/age?

Also if I did want to get my landlord to fix it what should I be telling him he needs to get done?

Thanks for you help!

why wont builder give me his gas safe registration stuff???

he was hired by the agent for my property but is fobbing me off by saying im busy i need to check see if i can give you builders number but never had a problem before i recently found out he is gas regestered but the hse want to investigate his work i have had another heating engineer out today who is refusing to touch it it has been condemend twice and my estate agent is saying just cause they hired doesnt means its there fault that carbon minoxide and gas were leaking into the property but if they hired him shouldnt they have made sure it was safe and if they do have a safety certificate then why was it condemend twice ????? the man in question is gas safe but has just bodged the job i had another heating specialist (proper company not cowboy) who said they wouldnt touch it with a barge pole its that dangerous i had to force them to do something and now the company saying well the man in question never worked for us we just contracted him in so we arent kliable for the work he does meaning i cant do a thing about the company i havre now had to have my house torn apart plaster ripped off floor boards up and i havent been able to live at home for a week i have too kids and the company havent even offered alternate accomadation i have to stay at my mums in a box room with too kids and hse havent came out yet to respond to my 10 emails and 11 phone calls

Removal/replacement of gas fire with back boiler

We are looking at buying a property that has a wall mounted gas fire with back boiler supplying radiator heating and domestic hot water.

The gas fire is not that attractive and due to the back boiler I am guessing we can't just take it off.

What options do we have? Can we replace the ugly fire or have nothing there? What is the cost of this and is it a big job?

I would guess the walls are around 6 metres wide as the dimensions of the lounge and kitchen added together make 5.92m.

how much will i pay for fitting of combi boiler?

I am looking to replace my old boiler with a combi boiler in a mid-terrace 2 bed house. i am going to buy the boiler, just need someone to fit it and take out the old boiler and associated bits. so how much are we talking here? i also want to fit a new solid fuel fire instead of the current gas one, am i right in thinking that the fire will have to come out as part of the central heating change anyway?

how much should it cost to remove a back boiler and replace it with a good combi boiler?

Ground floor 2 bed flat.
If I wanted the boiler put onto a kitchen wall, what damage would that cause?

Gas fireplace - regulation regarding ventilation

Hello, I recently bought a flat with a gas fireplace which is supposed to be working. I called a Gas Safe engineer to confirm it and show me how to use it and he said it is not in line with regulations and to do so I would need 1) to do a big whole in my wall and put a ventilation grid, so that there is permanently air coming into the flat and 2) fix the plate the closes the liner permanently so that it is always open ( right now I can move it so it closes/opens the liner).
I am really surprised: why would I need to permanently keep the liner open and not just when I use the fireplace? And why would I have to get a massive hole in my wall all year round? I don't want any cold air to come in in winter!
I am confused. May thanks in advance for your advices!

Can I just replace the gas system? I quite light the fireplace like this. If yes, what other gas system would not require me getting a big hole in my wall?
Many thanks again this is really usefull (although I still don't understand why this ventilation must be maintained all year round and not just when we actually use the fireplace!).

Am i allowed to put a stop end cap on the gas pipe

we have replaced the gas cooker for an electric one.
the gas pipe has a shut off valve on it which is obviously at the off position at the moment, the problem is with the handle/valve in this position the new oven cannot be pushed upto the wall,
So, Am I allowed to fit a cap onto this and then turn the valve back to the off position so we can put the oven back to the wall, or do I have to get a gas safe man in to do this??
I know its only a 2 minute job and the part costs £2 , but im gunna get stung for it which id rather not!!
would be really happy if someone could advise me,

Is it possible to get a gas safe certificate for an already installed boiler?

I recently had an extension built and the plumber, although gas safe registered, failed to issue me with a gas safe certificate for some reason. I didn't notice until I recently tried to have the extension signed off, and appear to have lost the plumbers contact details. Is it possible to have another plumber issue a gas safe certificate (obviously for a fee) ?

I need to box in a boiler, how much space do i need??

Hi there,
I'm doing a job, boxing in a combi boiler and have had concerns about how much ventilation it needs. Its a vaillant eco max combi boiler and have spoke to the guys at vaillant and was informed that as its a combi boiler it doesn't need ventilation, However, they did say there needs to be a minimum of 500mm from the front of the boiler, to the doors that access it for servicing reasons. The problem is this can't be done as the boxing will be massive and will just look utter rubbish in the area it is in. (is this a strict guidline that needs to be stuck to??)
My girlfriend not long ago had a new vaillant combi boiler fitted in an existing boxed in area with door and the space between the boxing door and the boiler is only 200mm and it was fitted by gas safe engineers obviously.
On this job, i can only have a gap of 100mm max and i just can't see why that if its not a ventilation issue and only for servicing reasons, why i can just put some doors on it, and removable shelves below so that it can easily be got at if i ever needs servicing.
the guy i'm doing the job for has left it to my discretion so, obviously i don't want to get this wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

Need help on your next project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Hire a local tradesman

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Need some tips or advice?

Ask a Question